There was a sage called Vidhrisi, lived in an ancient Indian village. Even though, he was blessed with some boons, he was so impatience and short tempered in speaking with people. He used to allow each person to meet and speak with him only for 5 minutes and over the time if anyone sat before him, he withdrew his blessings he gave earlier. Moreover, he never allowed anyone to tell them their known factors. People were afraid to meet him as they felt that his blessings would be a curse if time was up. A young boy called Abhay, wanted to teach a lesson to the sage. He came to his cottage and sat before him.
The sage asked him “Child! What is your wish?”. Abhay said him, “Guruji! Most of the people are giving something to me and within a short term they snatched the same. I was disappointed with these activities. Please grant me a boon that those who are snatching soon once they have given, should be slaves to me”. Without knowing the consequence, the Sage blessed his wish. Then Abhay started to talk unnecessarily before the Sage and wasted his time for more than 8 hours as he threatened the Sage that he would be his slave if the Sage withdrew his blessing to him. The sage was unable to get anger with him but politely sat before the boy without saying anything for his speech. He later realized that how wrong was his impatience without knowing the consequence. From the day onwards, the Sage was polite and patience with the people.
The sage asked him “Child! What is your wish?”. Abhay said him, “Guruji! Most of the people are giving something to me and within a short term they snatched the same. I was disappointed with these activities. Please grant me a boon that those who are snatching soon once they have given, should be slaves to me”. Without knowing the consequence, the Sage blessed his wish. Then Abhay started to talk unnecessarily before the Sage and wasted his time for more than 8 hours as he threatened the Sage that he would be his slave if the Sage withdrew his blessing to him. The sage was unable to get anger with him but politely sat before the boy without saying anything for his speech. He later realized that how wrong was his impatience without knowing the consequence. From the day onwards, the Sage was polite and patience with the people.
Alexander the Great, ascended to the Macedonian throne at age 20 after his father’s death and spent most of his reign leading a military campaign through Asia and Northeast Africa. By age 30, he’d created a vast empire that stretched from Greece to India and he’s considered one of the greatest military leaders in history. Even though, he stretched his empire to a large extend by his war strategies, he was a negative role-model for patience that he wished to rule the World in a shorter period. He spent most of his time in battles and he forced his soldiers to do that without living a good life. He would have enjoyed his life much. He would have lived longer. If he was patient, he could have lived a long life ruling the entire World. He said “I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well”.
The third of his wishes during his last minute was “About my third wish of having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world".
“I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.” –Alexander the Great
Even writing this I am not eligible because I myself have no patience in my life and career. (I’m a patient of impatience). I am too short tempered and impatient that I lost many things in my career and in relationships. Hence, I wrote this for myself to learn as a lesson from me. For me, I was afraid of lions led by a fox with cunning.
From Dr.Judith Orloff M.D.
“As a psychiatrist, I used to say patience is an invaluable skill. I emphasize the importance of patience as a coping skill and how to achieve it. Frustration is not the key to any door. Patience is a lifelong spiritual practice as well as a way to find emotional freedom.Frustration Happens. Every morning, noon, and night, there are plenty of good reasons to be impatient. You can drive yourself crazy, behave irritably, feel victimized, or try to force an outcome—which are all self-defeating reactions that alienate others and bring out the worst in them. Or, you can learn to transform frustration with patience.
Patience doesn’t mean passivity or resignation, but power. It’s an emotionally freeing practice of waiting, watching, and knowing when to act. I want to give patience a 21st-century makeover so you’ll appreciate its worth.
Patience has gotten a bad rap for the wrong reasons. To many people, when you say, “Have patience,” it feels unreasonable and inhibiting, like an unfair stalling of aspirations or some Victorian hang-up or hangover. Is this what you’re thinking?
But here’s the switch: Instead of getting irritated or pushy, which taxes your system with a rush of stress hormones, take a breath. Tell yourself, “I’m going to wait peacefully and enjoy the pause.” Meanwhile, try to empathize with the overwrought cashier or government employee. Smile and say a few nice words to the other beleaguered people in line. Use the time to daydream; take a vacation from work or other obligations.
Notice the stress release you feel and how your body relaxes. Lines are an excellent testing ground for patience. To strengthen this asset, I highly recommend standing in as many as possible.
Practicing patience will help you dissipate stress and give you a choice about how you respond to disappointment and frustration. When you can stay calm, centred, and not act rashly out of frustration, all areas of your life will improve.”
There are many verses in Torah Bible and Quran on Patience.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. For the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land. (Psalm 37:7-9)
Seek'st thou honour never tarnished to retain;
So must thou patience, guarding evermore, maintain (Thirukural 154)
So must thou patience, guarding evermore, maintain (Thirukural 154)
Who wreak their wrath as worthless are despised;
Who patiently forbear as gold are prized. (Thirukkural 155)

No comments:
Post a Comment